New York, NY – May 22, 2018
The MAP Fund is thrilled to announce the 2018 grantees: 40 original, live performance projects that will receive a total of $1.4 million in direct support for project creation, development, and distribution.
The 2018 grantee projects interrogate and redefine notions of cultural agency, aesthetics, and experimentation. Spanning the United States, from Miami to Fayetteville, Arkansas, from Los Angeles to Portland, Maine, and many points in between, these works represent a wide mix of performance practices — intimate solos, citywide civic collaborations, works of duration, improvisation, and many others.
Please join us in celebrating the following projects!
- Adaku’s Revolt by Okwui Okpokwasili | French Institute Alliance Française
- AMAL by Combat Hippies | The Miami Foundation
- At War With Ourselves by Terence Blanchard, Nikky Finney, Kronos Quartet, Valérie Sainte-Agathe | Kronos Performing Arts Association
- ATTIC by Holly Batt, Pat Graney | Pat Graney Company
- Bakanal de Afrique/Wey You Dey? by Tossie Long, Nkeiruka Oruche | Lotus Bloom
- The Corrido of the San Patricios by Radical Evolution | El Teatro Campesino
- dat Black Mermaid Man Lady/Performance Installation by Sharon Bridgforth, Walter Kitundu, Sonja Perryman | allgo
- Daughter of the Hills by Martha Redbone, Aaron Whitby | globalFEST
- Detroit Red by Kevin Becerra, Lauren Miller, Will Power, Lee Sunday Evans | ArtsEmerson
- The Enemy of My Enemy: Chapter 1 by The Hinterlands, Alireza Keymanesh, Zahra Moein, Poetic Societies, Amir Pousti, Renee Willoughby | Allied Media Projects
- Footsteps in the Dark: Journey of Hip-Hop Movement by Amirah M. Sackett, Words Beats & Life | Words Beats & Life, Inc.
- Gary: A Sequel to Titus Andronicus by Taylor Mac | HERE
- GENERATION SPACE by Tonia B, Gavin Gamboa, Anna Luisa Petrisko, Micaela Tobin, Yao Zhang | Human Resources Los Angeles
- Hello Gold Mountain by Shanir Blumenkranz, chatterbird, Wu Fei | chatterbird
- I’ll Take You There (working title) by Lionheart Live Arts and Youth Theatre/ Emily Marks, New Ballet Ensemble and School, The Stax Museum of American Soul Music | New Ballet Ensemble
- (in)Visible by Jess Curtis, Matthias Herrmann, Georgina Kleege, Alva Noë, Tiffany Taylor | Jess Curtis/Gravity
- INVISIBLE :: saved by Charlotte Braithwaite, Courtney Bryan, M. Asli Dukan, Chris Ferreria, Saeun Kim, kara lynch, Sonia Paulino, JT Takagi, Patrice Turner | Fractured Atlas
- joyUS justUS by Ana Maria Alvarez, Las Cafeteras, CONTRA-TIEMPO, d. Sabela Grimes, Charlese Antoinette Jones, Meena Murugesan, Tuce Yasak | CONTRA-TIEMPO
- Kinstillatory Mappings in Light and Dark Matter by Dr. Mique‘l Dangeli, Emily Johnson, Dr. Karyn Recollet | Springboard for the Arts
- Lives on the Line by Artist’s Laboratory Theatre, Northwest Arkansas Workers’ Justice Center | Artist’s Laboratory Theatre
- Maine USA, the real history of Maine from the Ice Age till now by Chris Akerlind, Heather Augustine, Ian Bannon, Gretchen Berg, John Farrell, Daniel Minter, Marty Pottenger, Jo Radner | Terra Moto Inc.
- Masters of the Currents by Leilani Chan, Ova Saopeng, TeAda Productions | TeAda Productions
- MU/巫: 9 Goddesses by Dana Kawano, Carole Kim, Dohee Lee, Adria Otte, Donald Swearingen | Yerba Buena Center for the Arts
- My Park, My Pool, My City by Allison Orr & Krissie Marty / Forklift Danceworks, Stephen Pruitt, Graham Reynolds | Forklift Danceworks
- no known word by Heid E. Erdrich, Cristóbal Martínez, Rosy Simas | rosy simas danse
- No Space Without Tension by Indira Allegra | Craft & Folk Art Museum
- Oba Qween Baba King Baba by Douglas Ewart, Kirsten Flores-Davis, Jeanne Medina, Ni’Ja Whitson | Abrons Arts Center
- Picture Bayview Hunters Point by Joanna Haigood, Walter Kitundu, Mary Ellen Strom | Zaccho Dance Theatre
- The Power of the Narrator by Paul Rucker | Earshot Jazz
- Quantum Music/Englewood by Ernest Dawkins, Bau Graves, Uday Sharad Joshi, Rahul Sharma | Old Town School of Folk Music
- rasgos asiaticos by Virginia Grise | CalArts Center for New Performance
- Red Onion by Dwayne Betts, Nick Szuberla | Working Narratives
- Remember2019 by Arielle Julia Brown, Mauricio Salgado, Carlos Sirah, Ashley Teague | Fractured Atlas
- Return to Niobrara by Mary Kathryn Nagle, The Rose Theater (Omaha Theater Company) | Omaha Theater Company
- [Siccer] by Will Rawls | The Kitchen
- Standby Snow: Chronicles of a Heat Wave by Shane Doyle, Laine Rettmer, Mary Ellen Strom, MJ Williams | Future West
- Suicide Forest by Kristine Haruna Lee, Jian Jung, Aya Ogawa, Jeanette Oi-Suk Yu, Denise Shu Mei | The Bushwick Starr
- Sutrajaal: Revelations of Gossamer by Ananya Dance Theatre, The O’Shaughnessy at St. Catherine University | The O’Shaughnessy at Saint Catherine University
- The TETRA by Chace Morris (Mic Write), Sherina Rodriguez Sharpe | The Miami Foundation
- Traces by Community MusicWorks, Shaw Pong Liu | Community MusicWorks
Learn more about the full pool of MAP applications and grantees in the 2018 Grant Cycle Data Report.
The MAP Fund is primarily supported by the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation, with additional funds from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. MAP invests in artistic production as the critical foundation of imagining — and ultimately creating — a more equitable and vibrant society.