New York, NY — updated Monday, March 23, 2020
In response to the issues artists are facing amidst the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, MAP Fund staff have collected a select list of resources for funding and other avenues of support.
The resources below have not been independently vetted by MAP and we encourage you to conduct further research as you see fit. Above all, we recommend starting with the CDC’s guidelines to minimize your risk of contracting or spreading COVID-19.
MAP is working to identify appropriate next steps with regard to our active grant cycles, as well as new sources for relief funding for the communities we serve. We will provide specific updates on those matters as soon as we know more.
For emergency and relief funding, a very detailed and continually updated database of funding for artists is available here. The database includes opportunities like:
- Foundation for Contemporary Arts’s COVID-19 Relief Fund is providing $1,000 grants for artists.
- New York Foundation for the Arts (NYFA) and the Robert Rauschenberg Foundation are partnering to offer Rauschenberg Emergency Grants for artists facing unexpected medical emergencies (note that grant review starts May/June), with grants up to $5,000.
- New York Community Trust is providing grants and loans for NYC-based nonprofit organizations.
- Soze’s Artist + Activist Relief Fund is providing $250 grants to individuals.
- Theatre Bay Area is providing support through the Bay Area Performing Arts Worker Emergency Relief Fund for artists based in the San Francisco area.
For comprehensive resource info (including preparedness, online classes and mental health resources), we recommend the COVID-19 Freelance Artist Resources page and Another Gulf is Possible’s list of Community Care Resources (available in English, Chinese, and Spanish).
If you have the means to donate or you’re an artist seeking immediate support, here are a few peer-to-peer avenues to financially support artists and arts workers:
- Artist Relief Tree, a relief fund for artists affected by cancellations due to COVID-19
- Arts Administrators of Color Network’s Arts Leaders of Color emergency fund
- COVID-19 Financial Solidarity spreadsheet, with guidelines and FAQs here
- COVID-19 Mutual Aid Fund for LGBTQI+ BIPOC Folks GoFundMe page
- “I Lost My Theatre Gigs,” connecting donors with individual theatre artists
- Leveler, a peer-to-peer wealth redistribution tool (mobile-use only)
You can contact the MAP Fund staff any time by emailing email@example.com. We welcome your thoughts and questions.