The timeline for MAP’s 2019 grant cycle will be announced summer 2018.
The information below, including all dates and deadlines, is an archive of the 2018 grantmaking cycle.
MAP has two distinct phases of application and review:
Round One: September 25 – October 30, 2017
Alignment Review: October 31, 2017 – January 25, 2018
Round Two: January 26 – February 26, 2018
Final Review: February 27 – March 30, 2018
Open call for applicants to submit online proposals for original, live performance-based projects that strongly align with MAP’s program goals.
The online portal will accept Round One applications through 11:59 p.m. EST on October 30, 2017. Late proposals will not be accepted for any reason.
First Round of Alignment Review
MAP hires external reviewers each year based on the number of eligible applications we receive. Reviewers each assess up to 75 applications and meet remotely to share insights, ask questions, and provide MAP staff with process feedback.
- Reviewers score projects based on the project’s alignment with MAP’s funding criteria.
- MAP staff average and rank the reviewers’ scores. 80 projects that strongly align with MAP’s funding priorities are invited to Round Two of the application process.
- All applicants will be notified of review results by January 26, 2018.
To learn more about how project proposals are scored, read the Reviewer Packet here.
Applicants who are invited to Round Two must submit all requested materials by February 26, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. EST. Late proposals will not be accepted for any reason.
MAP hires a body of panelists to review the Round One and Two materials of applicants in the final pool. The panel group convenes live over the course of three days to discuss applications and recommend projects for funding. At this stage, every applicant is eligible for support and strongly aligns with MAP’s mission.
MAP staff do not participate in voting, but facilitate the conversations such that MAP’s funding parameters are consistently central to the deliberation. Larger issues and questions about the field also emerge organically from the particular experiences of the panelists and the cohort of proposals they are asked to consider. Panelists are required to arrive at consensus in their decision-making.
Ultimately, they are tasked with recommending up to 40 projects for funding – a concrete, collective action of support for artistic visions – and to create a symbolic list that points to an equitable, thriving future for artists and arts organizations in the live performance sector.
- Results of the Final Review will be sent to all Round Two applicants in April 2018.
- After the panel convening, MAP staff requests budget updates and web materials from applicants who have been recommended for funding.
- MAP staff determines award amounts based on project budgets and MAP’s available resources.
- MAP Fund’s Board of Directors approves the final list of grantees.
- Contracts and award distribution occur between May and June 2018.
Read more about applicant feedback here.